Thursday, July 5, 2012

Why I Do This

This is a departure from my usual material of commentary, opinion, and memories. I've been doing this for the last couple of months, and I plan to keep doing this for as long as possible.

I can remember Shaq and Kobe. I can remember being 7, being upset the Lakers were losing to Portland, only to see them come back and win, and in the Finals, after Shaq fouled out, thinking they would lose Game 4, only to see Kobe help save the day. Or when I was 8 and a half, hoping the Lakers went undefeated in the playoffs, and after watching the Finals, trying to copy AI's crossover.

I remember watching the Raiders play the Patriots, seeing the Raiders force Tom Brady fumble the ball, only to see the referee say that he followed the "Tuck Rule" and the Patriots keep the ball. I remember the next year, seeing the Raiders go to the Super Bowl and get the shit kicked out of them, and I haven't seen them recover since.

I remember being on the edge of my seat as Big Shot Bob Horry took the shot that ripped the hearts out of the Queens. I remember Game 7, when the Lakers went in to Sacramento and ripped the Queens' hearts out again. I remember Kobe going off for 40+ points 9 games in a row. I remember the Lakers getting Malone and Payton, I remember Kobe having to go to court and play on the court the same days, and I remember thinking they'd win another ring, only to have my heart broken against the Pistons. I remember Shaq being traded to Miami, and he and Kobe playing each other on Christmas.

I remember USC getting screwed out of the national title game in '03 by the BCS, dominating in '04, and coming oh so close the next year before Vince Young tore my heart out. I remember all the good times with Pete, Matt, Reggie, Carson and the rest of the Trojan Army. I remember the NCAA screwing the Trojans over. However, I know this new generation will give me new memories: Matt B., Robert, Marqise, and Curtis.

I remember Kobe going for 81, Kobe getting Gasol, and Kobe finally winning MVP. I remember the blown 24 point lead to the Celtics, and my heart breaking seeing the Lakers losing by 39. I remember Kobe's redemption the following summer, and never having to hear idiots say Kobe can't without Shaq. I remember the Lakers doing it again against those fuckin' Celtics coming back from 13 down the night I graduated high school. I remember seeing the confetti come down and Kobe celebrating on the scorer's table. I remember the heartbreaking way Phil went out the next year. I remember David Fuckin' Stern robbing us of CP3 and sending him to the JV team down the hall.

I remember the Dodgers. Going to games with my dad during the summer, seeing them play. I remember seeing them change owners a lot. I remember Eric Gagne walking in to Welcome to the Jungle with Game Over flashing on the scoreboard. I also enjoyed seeing Manny, then found out about him using steroids. I remember the playoff runs they made. I remember that game against the Padres where they came from behind, hitting 4 home runs in the 9th and winning in the 10th. I love Kemp, Ethier, Kershaw, Capuano, and the rest of them.

I remember the Kings having some rough seasons, but building up a core of Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, and Richards. I remember my excitement going into this season, and my disappointment as they struggled. I remember going into the playoffs, very few outside of Kings fans gave them a chance, then seeing them dominate. I remember seeing Dustin Brown lift the Stanley Cup and ending the frustration of Kings fans everywhere.

So, what's the point of me listing all the things I remember about my favorite teams? The point is, I've had a lifelong love affair with sports, and I do this as a fan, which is something my dad, uncles, and cousins have instilled in me over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment