Friday, September 28, 2012

NBA Rank...Whatever.



This week, the ESPN NBA Rank top 10 was released, and as usual, it sparked the firestorm. The main one being from my fellow Laker fans after Kobe was ranked #6, just missing the Top 5. I really like Derrick Rose, but I gotta respectfully disagree with him at #5. Why? I'll give you a big reason why. People like to bitch about Kobe's FG% and use it against him, but only .005 separated him and D-Rose last year, with D-Rose having the slight edge (.435-.430). Since that is always a key argument against Kobe, I feel the need to bring that up. The main argument for D-Rose was his value became apparent after his injury against Philly. I definitely do not disagree on that, but I still disagree with the ranking, and would probably switch the two. Overall, I never put much meaning into these rankings, as they have the same value to me as the cardboard box I throw away when I'm done at In-N-Out. Why am I talking about them, you ask? I use these rankings merely as a way to express my views about the NBA and to get my point across. This is my way of telling you everything I have on my mind.

Why do I not give a rat's ass about ESPN's rankings? Honestly, I feel that they put too much emphasis on Player Efficiency Ratings, a ridiculous stat of which I have been a vocal critic in the past. I cannot take seriously a rating system that ranks Manu Ginobili (32nd), Paul Pierce (52nd), and Chris Bosh (48th) higher than Isiah Thomas (131st), Scottie Pippen (113th), and Bill Russell (102nd). Also, it's subjective and subject to each individual voters' biases. Also, anyone with a blog *points to self*, a computer, and time to burn can make his or her own. Hell, I'll do my own right now:

1. LeBron James- On top of the world right now. Don't like the dude, but how can I not?
2. Kevin Durant- His skinny ass may be the deadliest shot in the NBA right now.
3. Dwight Howard- Best inside presence in the game right now, has his best ever shot at a ring.
4. Kobe Bryant- 17 seasons in, still a killer.
5. Chris Paul- He may be the best pure point in the NBA, but he's also a dirty ass Clipper.

See how easy that was? You, and anyone else reading it, can probably make his or her own. Granted, you'd probably do only a top 5-10 instead of a top 500. There are so many ways to do it, yet there is no definite answer to any of this. Was it meant to spark debate and discussion? I think so. Did it accomplish its mission? Hell yeah. My point is, it's a flawed system. I know nothing's perfect, but this is not something to rely on and look at like it has any impact on the NBA or the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment